How to make them:
- Peel the potatoes and boil in lightly salted water.
- Let them cool a little and then put through a potato ricer while still warm.
- On a work surface, combine the potatoes with the butter, flour, cornstarch, curd cheese, egg, egg yolk, semolina, salt and nutmeg and work into a smooth, elastic dough.
- Form a 3 cm thick roll, and cut out pieces about a thumb thickness wide.
- On a floured surface, form small noodles out of the dough.
- Place on a baking tray sprinkled with semolina. Line a large cooking pot with baking paper and leave some paper for covering.
- Fill the pot with water, bring to boil and put the noodles in.
- Cover the water with baking paper and simmer, lightly bubbling, for about 5 minutes. (This way, the noodles stay under water and won't stick together).
- Remove with a draining spoon and let drain.
- For the poppy seed crumbs, froth up the butter and combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Toss the noodles well in the mixture.
- Serve on warmed plates and sprinkle with icing sugar.
Recipe is taken from The new Sacher cookbook - Favorite Austrian dishes.
Find out more about the famous Sacher Cafe