How to make it:
- Warm up about 2 tablespoons of milk to drinking temperature and dissolve the yeast in it.
- Stir in a little flour to create a thick-pasted pre-dough.
- Sprinkle with flour, cover with a cloth and leave to rise in a warm place (28–30 °C) for about 15 minutes, until the surface begins to show small cracks.
- Use the rest of the milk and stir together the egg, egg yolks, salt, icing sugar, vanilla sugar, grated lemon rind and rum.
- Add the melted butter and beat.
- Using a blender with a kneading hook, blend the mass with the remaining flour and the yeast dough until smooth.
- Cover with a cloth and leave to rise at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- Knead the dough again and on a floured surface shape into a roll.
- Cut nut-size pieces about 20 g in weight and, using the palm of your hand, shape into round balls.
- Dust with flour and press them a little with a baking tray.
- Place on a baking tray and leave to rise in a warm place.
- Heat some oil (160 °C) in a pan for deep frying or in a saucepan and fry a golden brown on both sides.
- Scoop out and place on a cake grid to drain.
- Fill a pastry bag with the rum-jam mix and squeeze into the doughnuts.
- Dust with icing sugar.
Recipe is taken from The new Sacher cookbook - Favorite Austrian dishes.
Find out more about the famous Sacher Cafe