How to make it:
- Beat the butter together with half of the sugar and the melted chocolate, adding the egg yolks one at a time, until thick and foamy.
- Sift the flour over the mixture.
- Beat together the egg whites and remaining sugar until stiff and mound on top of the flour.
- Fold everything together carefully.
- Pour the mixture into a springform pan that has been buttered and coated with bread crumbs and bake at 180°C (350°F) for about an hour.
- To cool the cake, turn it upside down onto a wire rack.
- After about 2 hours, remove it from the pan (you may want to cut the top side to make it level) and place it on a platter with the smooth torte base on top.
- Spread with a very thin layer of apricot preserves and glaze with a chocolate icing.
- For a special treat, serve the Sacher Torte with whipped cream!
- Melt the chocolate in bain-marie or double boiler and stir in the oil.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil.
- A spoonful at a time, stir the cooled sugar solution into the melted chocolate until you have a smooth mixture.