How to make it:
- For the strudel dough, mix together flour, salt, oil and enough luke-warm water to make a soft dough.
- Knead very well until it becomes silky and smooth.
- Form the dough into a loaf, cover and allow to rest for about 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a table covered with a floured cloth.
- Place your hands under the dough and, using your thumbs and the back of your hand, gently begin pulling and stretching the dough until wafer-thin. Trim away the thick edges.
- Brown the bread crumbs in some of the butter until golden brown.
- Brush the strudel dough with melted butter and spread the bread crumbs over it.
- Peel and core the apples, cut into thin slices (a cucumber slicer may be used) or grate coarsely.
- Season with sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of ground cloves and spread on top of the bread crumbs.
- If you like, scatter a few raisins and/or coarsely grated walnuts on top.
- Using the cloth to help lift the dough, roll up the strudel from the sides as you would a jelly roll.
- Place it seam side down on a baking tray, brush generously with butter and bake at 180°C (350°F) until golden brown.