With first-hand local knowledge, we've compiled a list of the best Austrian eateries, to guarantee a gourmet gastronomic break, whatever time of the year you might be visiting.
Our list starts in Vienna
and takes you right the way through Austria. And since great culinary delights
can also be found within Austria's countryside, we even went off the beaten track.Vienna:
- Le Ciel This award-winning restaurant is located in the Grand Hotel.
- Palais Coburg With more than 60,000 bottles of wine stored in its vault, Palais Coburg is a must for any wine-connoseur.
- Sacher "Rote Bar" This is one of Vienna's most classic dining experiences at the traditional Hotel Sacher.
- Steirereck Restaurant Located inside the Stadtpark, this is the gourmet temple you were looking for.
- Kim kocht Within Vienna's 9th district you will find this gourmet restaurant of a new generation. Why? Because Kim cooks especially for you.
- Schwarzes Kameel A popular cafe during the day and a great dining option in the evening, this restaurant has been a true institution and since 1618.
- Fabios One of the latest gourmet restaurants in Vienna, with an amazing bar for a glass of champagne after shopping.
- The Steirereck Pogusch Country Inn Located about 90 minutes outside of Vienna, this is an unforgettable get-away in the province of Styria. Relax in an old inn, built in 1616, and enjoy exquisite cuisine that is well worth the trip.
- Hospiz This is probably THE dining experience in Austria's Alps. The restaurant located in Lech am Arlberg also houses a fabulous stone wine cellar, dating back to 1386.
- Griggeler Stuba Based in the popular ski resort of Oberlech, the Griggeler Stubba takes cooking with local herbs to different heights.
- Taubenkobel In Schuetzen, about 1 hour south of Vienna and close to Lake Neusiedl, this Relaix & Chateau restaurant features amazing high-end (yet local) cuisine.
- Gut Purbach Located in the old town of Purbach in Burgenland, where one finds the quadrangular courtyard of the manor, comprising of the oldest tavern, the adjoining office and the district jail.
- Wagnerei This cosy restaurant in Linz features traditional cuisine in the classy setting of the old part of town.
- Freisitz Roith Located in a castle on the idylic Traunsee, one of the bathing lakes in Upper Austria, this restaurant not only offers fantastic food and wine, but also a great view of the lake.
- Tanglberg This is certainly a hidden gem and is worth a stop on your way to Salzburg from Linz.
This list is just a small selection of the many luxury restaurants that await you in Austria. If you are looking for an unforgettable dining experience whilst visiting, we suggest you check out the Fallstaff Gourmet Club