During apricot season delight your family with traditional Austrian dumplings. This sweet yet savory dish can be served as a main course or a dessert.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients (for 10 dumplings)
- 300 g low-fat farmers cheese
- 200 g flour
- approx. 60 g butter, at room temperature
- 1 packet (8 g) vanilla sugar
- 1 egg
- A pinch of salt
- Approx. 10 small apricots
- Approx. 10 sugar cubes
For the garnish
- approx. 100 g breadcrumbs
- approx. 100 g butter
- ground cinnamon
- confectioners sugar
- Mix the softened butter with the vanilla sugar and a small pinch of salt until creamed. MIx in the egg with the farmers cheese and flour and work into a malleable dough. Form into a ball, cover in saran wrap and leave in a cool place to rest for approx. 30 minutes.
- Remove the pits from the apricots and place a sugar cube into the center.
- On a floured work surface shape the dough into a roll of approx. 2 1/2 inch thickness. Cut off slices and gently press these flat between the hands. Place the apricot into the dough, shape the dough around it and seal well. Apply some flour to your hands, form dumplings and place on a floured board.
- boil slightly-salted water in a large pot, reduce the heat, place the apricot dumplings into the water and allow to simmer gently for 10–13 minutes. Stir carefully from time to time to prevent the dumplings from sticking together.
- For the garnish: melt the butter in a pan. Add the breadcrumbs, flavor with cinnamon and fry until golden brown. Add confectioners sugar at the end.
- Carefully remove the cooked dumplings and roll in the sugared breadcrumbs. Arrange and dust with icing sugar.
To ensure that the dough do not cruble wihile cooking, it is advisable to cook a test dumpling before filling with the fruit. If necessary, adjust the dough mix by adding more flour if too soft, or by adding butter if too firm.
More great Austrian recipes