What's free in Austria?
Thought a vacation in Austria will cost you a fortune? Not necessarily - Austria’s cities offer uncountable festivals, museums, galleries, sights and activities that are absolutely free of charge.
- Entrance to most churches, markets, gardens, parks and galleries in Austria: indulge in great architecture, art, shopping and history!
- Because of Austrias long tradition, many folklore festivals take place througout the year - particularly outside the cities - at which Austrian culture and lifestyle can be experienced first hand. Some of them are listed in the cities’ sections on this website, but really, there are sooo many, that we cannot list them all here, so just ask upon your arrival what’s coming up next.
- Up to the age of 6, children can use public transport for free. In many Austrian cities up to 4 children up to the age of 15 travel for free wen accompanied by an adult. If you are travelling with kids generally ask for special reductions!
- Enjoy the cool of Austria’s high quality drinking water - not only in your glass but in one of Austria’s numerous crystal clear lakes, with water so good you can drink it!
- Around Christmas time -or to be more precise- starting in late November, Christmas Markets in many cities and towns all over Austria get you into a festive and cheerful mood!
- The perfect way to usher in the New Year: Vienna, Salzburg, Innsbruck and many other major towns in Austria turn their old city centers into open-air ballrooms. On New Year's Eve watch the fireworks and waltz into the New Year!
- Almost for free: Most major cities in Austria offer discount cards with attractive value-added opportunities. You can explore the splendor and cultural delights of the cities with significant discounts on public transport, sightseeing, shopping, dining, etc.