Hotel Stefanie, Vienna: Feel the history
Taborstreet 1890 © Taborstrasse 1890, Hotel Stefanie Wien
Rooms © Hotel Stefanie Wien
Superior double room © Hotel Stefanie Wien
The hotel owes its present name to the marriage of Princess Stephanie of Belgium to the Austrian Crown Prince Rudolf. The Hotel Stefanie carries on this imperial connection and carefully preserves the historic charm of the property, while making sure that all amenities are up to the latest standards. The hotel Stefanie is located in Vienna’s 2nd district, a bustling neighborhood with tons of history. Already in the 15th century, important hotels for tradesmen, coachmen and drivers were located here along Taborstrasse, directly in front of the former city wall surrounding Vienna’s center. In the 17th century, hotel building boomed and it was at that time that the building of today's Hotel Stefanie received a hotel concession. A document dated May 4, 1630 gave all building owners on that part of the street, close to the 1st District, the privilege to ‘accommodate foreigners and serve meals for payment.’ In 1703, today's Hotel Stefanie was documented for the first time with the official right to accommodate and cater for guests. In 1728, a certain Josepha Winkler acquired the ‘Weiße Rose’ Hotel - today's Hotel Stefanie – at 12 Taborstrasse. 70 years later, in 1798, the ‘Weiße Rose’ Hotel was prominently mentioned in Vienna’s first hotel guide. Business went well and the hotel grew and expanded around 1800 to 75 guest rooms and ultimately 120 horse stalls.
Today, cars have replaced the horses and hotel guests enjoy ample parking. In 1870, the great-grandfather of today's owner, Martin Schick, acquired the ‘Weiße Rose’ Hotel, which is indicated in the hotel guide of 1873 as having 110 rooms and thus ranked among the largest hotels in Vienna at that time. Today, the Hotel Stefanie is appreciated by international guests as a 4-star hotel with genuine Viennese charm.