One of the most beautiful baroque buildings in the world, Prince Eugene’s summer palace, Schloss Hof, has recently been brought back to life.
Art-loving field marshal Prince Eugene of Savoy purchased Schloss Hof and extended it into a spacious baroque summer palace and hunting lodge. Under its subsequent owner, Empress Maria Theresia, the palace was a very famous venue for extravagant parties of the Viennese court. However from the 18th century onwards the buildings were largely neglected and fell into disrepair. This century, finally, a major and very costly renovation project was commissioned to restore the entire palace complex, including the Meierhof, an idyllic country estate.
The 16 hectares of palace gardens, which were also in very bad condition, have been authentically recreated using original paintings and etchings of the time. Prince Eugene’s baroque palace gardens with their vast terraces, ornamental shrubbery, lovely fountains and fine sculptures were known around 1730 as the most beautiful gardens of the Danube monarchy. The palace and gardens are now open to the public and you can even pet the favorite animals of 18th century, including donkeys and spectacled sheep. Costume festivals in summer and seasonal markets add to the authentic baroque atmosphere.
The palace is located about one hour east of Vienna and can be easily reached by car, train or even by ship.