How to make it:
- Slice onions.
- Cut the meat into cubes, approx. 50 g each.
- Heat the dripping in a large pot and fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add juniper berries, marjoram, caraway seeds, sugar, pepper and salt and briefly sauté.
- Stir in paprika powder, tomato paste, garlic and lemon rind and quickly add vinegar and 1 litre of water.
- Bring to boil then and add cubed meat and let stew for about 2 1/2 hours.
- Stir repeatedly and add water if necessary.
- When the meat is almost done, stir well and add the rest of the water.
- Let cook for a while longer then add salt to taste.
- Mix the flour with a bit of water, stir and add to the goulash to bind.
Suggested side dishes: Fresh bread rolls or salt potatoes.
Recipe is taken from The new Sacher cookbook - Favorite Austrian dishes.
Find out more about the famous Sacher Cafe