- mix pre dough with egg mixture and the remaining flour
- start mixing at medium speed with hook attachment
- half way through the mixing process, add butter and salt, mix to a smooth dough for 4-5 minutes
- measure to 50 g (1.8 oz) pieces, shape into balls, press flat, place on with flour dusted towel and proof
- cover with flour dusted towels and proof for about 1-2 hours. They should almost double the size
- fry in hot canola oil for 3 minutes in a covered pan, flip them and fry for 3 more minutes
- ance golden brown, cool them down on a rack, squeeze apricot jam inside, and dust with confectioner sugar
This recipe was provided to us by Alex Grunert, an Austrian pastry chef who got his start in Vienna, at Vier Jahreszeiten Restaurant in the Inter-Continental Hotel and the world-renowned Viennese pastry shop Oberlaa Konditorei. After a move to New York, he began to work under Chef David Buley and eventually became the Executive Pastry Chef of both his restaurants, Danube and Bouley. Chef Alex Grunert was recently named one of the 2016 Top Ten Pastry Chefs in North America by Dessert's Professional Magazine. His next goal is to serve customers in his very own Viennese Coffee and Pastry Shop.