How to make it:
- Heat the milk with the cut-open vanilla pod and lemon juice.
- Remove from the stove and leave to sit.
- Smear an oval-shaped, ovenproof form with butter and pour in enough vanilla milk to cover the bottom.
- With a hand mixer, mix the cooled egg whites with a pinch of salt and a third of the sugar until very stiff.
- Slowly add the rest of the sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Preheat the oven on 220°C.
- Add the egg yolks, lemon rind, vanilla sugar, flour, and cornstarch to the egg white mixture and fold three or four times with a whisk (the mass mustn’t become homogenous).
- Make 4 pyramid-shaped nockerl, placing them next to each other in the baking tray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until light, golden brown.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve quickly so the nockerl don’t collapse.
To add a fruity taste, bake on a bed of cranberries.
To make sure all the residual fat is removed from the bowl in which the eggs are whisked, simply rub the bowl with lemon juice.