Visiting a local vinotheque will help you find a wine perfectly matched to your personal tastes, as well as offer a glimpse into one of Austria’s most delicious traditions. The best part? Most vinotheques price the wines as if you were buying directly from the vineyard, and many will even ship their wines worldwide.
Here are some vinotheques to top your list:
Weinviertel, 45 minutes north of Vienna
- Pub Klemo: A great wine bar in Vienna proper, with more than 3,000 different wines kept in stock.
Burgenland, 45 minutes southeast of Vienna
- Weinquartier: Lower Austria’s largest regional vinotheque with 300 wines from 50 local vineyards. Dine at the adjoined SCHLAGER im Weinquartier. The rotating menu offers 20 wines to try by the glass, as well as culinary specialties from the Weinviertel.
- Weinmarkt Poysdorf: This cooperation of 30 local vintners is a primary source of Austria’s most important grape variety, the Grüner Veltliner.
Wachau, 45 minutes west of Vienna
- Vinatrium: Jazz up your traditional wine-tasting with a performance at this state-of-the-art facility, which offers 300 wines and an adjacent 500-seat concert hall.
- Haus am Kellerplatz: In addition to 350 local wines for sale, try this vinotheque’s Enomatic wine dispenser, which serves 64 perfectly tempered wines in three pour volumes to be tasted by the glass.
Göttlesbrunn by Carnuntum, 45 minutes east of Vienna
- Loisium Weinwelt: Take a tour of the 900-year-old cellars to learn all about the wines you can taste in the Wine Garden Lounge following your tour. Cap off the experience with a night at the Loisium Hotel and a visit to its Spa.
- Vinothek Hubert Fohringer: More than 6,000 wines are in stock, and with an in-house wine broker service you will be able to purchase any wine in the world at this local institution.