Horse-Drawn Sleighs and Dogsledding
A romantic ride through the countryside on a horse-drawn sleigh or a more action-packed dogsledding adventure – Austria offers a wide variety of ways to experience winter in tandem with animals.
High up on a Horse-Drawn Sleigh
It’s not until the gentle clopping and ting-a-ling of an approaching horse-drawn sleigh intrudes that we are brought back into the present. The horses snort and their breath forms little clouds in the winter air. Now it’s time to snuggle up in the back under the thick warm blanket and marvel at the miracles of nature gliding by: the branches in the thick pine forests creaking under the burden of the snow, or giant icicles hanging from rocky crags.
10 best horse-drawn sleigh rides
- Katschberg in Carinthia
Daily rides from Katschberghöhe to a cosy ski hut; pirvate and night-time rides available.
- Filzmoos in SalzburgerLand
Rides with a duration of approx. 3.5 hours; private rides available.
- Kleinarl in Salzburger Land (German website)
Sleigh ride to the romantic Lake Jägersee
- Gams in Styria (German website)
Horse-drawn sleigh ride incl. hot tea
- Ramsau am Dachstein in Styria
Wide variety of sleigh-ride offers available
- Hinterstoder in Upper Austria (German website)
Romantic horse-drawn sleigh rides upon request
- Gosau in Upper Austria
Package of sleigh ride plus local museum tour available, night rides available
- Kufstein in Tirol
You can choose between several different sleigh ride offers
- Bregenzerwald in Vorarlberg (German website)
Horse-drawn sleigh rides for large groups available
- Wilder Kaiser region in Tirol
Among many other offerings, discover the town of Going on a sleigh each Tuesday
A Special Way to Experience Winter
Standing on the sled, pulled by a team of huskies through the snow-covered landscape, you feel like you’re in the high north. Cold wind on your face, glistening snow on fields and forests – winter as far as you can see. Going on a sledding adventure with a musher and his pack lets you get in touch with nature and experience the close connection between man and dog.
Our Recommendations for Dogsledding Fans
- Nockberge Longtrail – One of the toughest trails for a musher and his pack
- Dogsledding in the Waldviertel region (Lower Austria) – You can take a two-day musher course at Huskyhof or visit Huskyranch
- Husky Tours in Vorarlberg (German website) – six different tours as well as snowshoe hikes with huskies available
Gosauseestraße 5, 4824 Gosau
WinterzauberGosauseestraße 5, 4824 Gosau
WinterzauberGerbe 1135, 6863 Egg
WinterzauberSchloßallee 31, 6341 Ebbs