• Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) Railjet at Vienna Airport
      Entry and Customs Regulations

      In order for you to enjoy a relaxed journey, we have compiled important information here about customs regulations, border formalities and entering Austria with pets.

    Entry Documents for Holiday Travellers

    • UK Nationals

      As a UK national, you will not need a visa to travel to Austria for a holiday (up to 90 days in any 180-day period). At border control, you may need to show a return or onward ticket or prove that you have enough money for your stay. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel. Please be aware that different rules may apply to non-UK nationals, even if they are family members of UK nationals.

      On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to both:

      • have at least 3 months left (Nevertheless, it is strongly recommended that your passport is valid for at least 6 more months when entering Austria. This would in many cases save you from having to proof the date of your intended leave of the EU.)
      • be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)

      If this is not the case, you may not be able to travel to the EU, including Austria.

      Learn more about travel and passport requirements

    • US and Canadian Nationals

      US and Canadian passport holders do not require a visa to travel to Austria for a holiday (up to 90 days in any 180-day period). Passport validity of at least 3 months beyond your planned departure date from the Schengen area is required. A passport validity of 6 months is recommended. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel.

      If you have further questions, please contact the Austrian Consulate General or the Austrian Embassy.

      Austrian Consulate General
      New York: (212) 737 6400
      Los Angeles: (310) 444 9310

      Vancouver: (604) 687 3338
      Toronto: (416) 967 4867 3348
      Montreal: (514) 849 3708

      Austrian Embassy
      Washington DC: (202) 895 6700
      Ottawa: (613) 789 1444

    • Australian and New Zealand Nationals

      As an Australian or New Zealand national, you will not need a visa to travel to Austria for a holiday (up to 90 days in any 180-day period). At border control, you may need to show a return or onward ticket or prove that you have enough money for your stay. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to work or study, or for business travel.

      Austrian Embassy Canberra
      12 Talbot Street, Forrest, ACT 2603
      02 6295 1533

      Austrian Consulate General Sydney
      Level 10, 1 York Street, Sydney NSW 2000
      02 9251 3363

      Austrian Consulate General Melbourne

      Rm 802, 8th Floor, 180 William Street, VIC 3000 Melbourne
      03 9225 8750

    • Indian Nationals

      Indian nationals need a Schengen visa to enter Austria. As from 2 November 2015 following the introduction of the Visa Information System (VIS), all Schengen visa applicants in India have to appear in person in order to provide biometric data (fingerprints and digital photography). The photograph has to be digitally taken at the time of the application or scanned from an existing one. For subsequent applications within 59 months, the fingerprints can be copied from the previous application file in the VIS. In case of reasonable doubt regarding the identity of the applicant, or about the fact, that the prints were collected within this 59-month period, the consulate will collect the fingerprints again. Visa applicants' biometric data can be collected by Schengen States' consulates and external service providers, but not commercial intermediaries.

      Processing Time will be a minimum of 15 days (excluding day of submission at VFS) for all the Visa categories. However, in some cases the procedure may take considerably longer. Applications accepted at the Austria Application Center in New Delhi will be submitted on the next working day at the Embassy of Austria, and applications submitted at the other 17 Austrian Application Centres will be submitted after two working days at the Embassy of Austria in New Delhi.

      For more details please check here.


    Each child needs its own identification document (identity card or passport), as children's entries in a parent's passport are no longer valid since 26.06.2012.

    For more information about who requires a visa for entry into Austria, please check here.


    Passport Controls within the Schengen Area

    As a rule, checks are no longer carried out at the internal land borders to the Schengen states. However, in order to be able to provide proof of identity during random checks, travellers must carry their travel document in the Schengen area.


    • Nationals of EU member states, EEA countries, Switzerland and numerous other countries (e.g. Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, United States, etc.) do not require a visa to enter Austria. All other nationalities require a Schengen visa for a stay of up to 90 days.

    • With the entry into force of the Schengen Agreement, third-country nationals subject to visa requirements can also enter Austria with a Schengen visa without requiring another Austrian visa. Nationals who hold a residence permit in a Schengen state are entitled to travel to any other Schengen state and stay there for up to 90 days.


    Customs Regulations

    Entry to Austria from within the EU

    In principle, customs checks are no longer carried out, but spot checks are possible at any time.
    In the case of a direct flight (without a stopover in a third country) from an EU state to another EU state, the exit for EU travellers can be used.

    Note: If the journey was started in a state outside the EU and only a stopover/transit stay was made in another EU country before entering Austria, the provisions for travelers from third countries apply.

    More information about the free movement of goods in the EU.

    Travel Allowances and Limits for Goods within the EU

    Tobacco products or alcoholic beverages are exempt from duty only for personal use. If the standard quantities stated below are exceeded, you have to proof that the goods are intended for personal use.

    Attention: Duty free purchases are no longer possible when travelling directly within the EU.

    This provision does not apply to the Canary Islands (Spain), Gibraltar (Great Britain) and the British Channel Islands (Guernsey, Jersey, Alderney, etc.). When entering from these countries, the same import quantities are allowed as when entering from non-EU countries.

    • Tobacco products (per person from 17 years and older):

      • Cigarettes: 800 pieces
      • Cigarillos (maximum 3 g unit weight): 400 pieces
      • Cigars: 200 pieces
      • Smoking tobacco: 1 kg
    • Alcoholic beverages (per person from 17 years and older):

      • Spirits: 10 litres
      • Alcoholic beverages other than beer, sparkling wine or wine up to 22 % vol.: 20 litres
      • wine (of which max. 60 litres sparkling wine): 90 litres
      • Beer: 110 litres

    Entry to Austria from a state outside the EU

    When passing through customs, you must declare the following goods, i.e. make a customs declaration for:

    • Goods not intended for personal use
    • Goods purchased outside the EU that exceed the duty-free allowances for tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, non-sparkling wines, beer and pharmaceuticals and the duty-free allowance for other goods
    • Goods subject to import prohibitions or restrictions

    Travel Allowances and Limits for Goods from Third Countries

    Maximum quantities for duty-free import into Austria from third countries for personal use or as a gift in air and sea travel:

    • Tobacco products (per person from 17 years and older):

      • Cigarettes: 200 pieces or
      • Cigarillos (cigars with a maximum weight of 3 g each): 100 pieces or
      • Cigars: 50 pieces or
      • Smoking tobacco: 250 grams or
      • A proportionate assortment of these goods
    • Alcoholic beverages (per person from 17 years and older):

      • Alcohol and alcoholic beverages with an alcohol content of more than 22% vol. or undenatured ethyl alcohol of 80% vol. or more: 1 litre or
      • Alcohol and alcoholic beverages of an alcoholic strength by volume not exceeding 22% vol: 2 litres or
      • A proportionate assortment of these goods and in addition
      • Non-sparkling wines: 4 litres and
      • Beer: 16 litres

    Other goods up to a total value of 300 euros (for entry by land); for air travellers up to a total value of 430 euros.

    For travellers under 15 years of age, these two allowances are generally reduced to 150 euros (regardless of the mode of transportation used). Multiple travellers may not add their travel allowances together.

    Travel equipment for personal use during the stay may be imported into Austria duty-free and informally, provided there are no import bans.

    Further information on entry from non-EU countries


    Central Inquiry Office/Customs

    The Central Customs Enquiry Office provides information on general customs matters and answers specific tariff-related questions as well as inquiries on prohibitions and restrictions.

    Customs Office Klagenfurt Villach
    Ackerweg 19
    9500 Villach
    Phone +43 (0) 50 233 740

    Learn more

    Travel with Dogs, Cats & Co

    This is what you need to keep in mind

    • A maximum of five animals per person are allowed.
    • Each animal must be identified by a microchip. However, a tattoo carried out before July 3, 2011 is still valid, provided that it is clearly legible.
    • Each animal must have a pet passport issued by a veterinarian authorized by the competent authority. It must also show that the animal in question has a valid rabies vaccination and, if applicable, a valid booster vaccination. The rabies vaccination is valid for 21 days after completion of the basic immunization, if the animal has undergone regular booster vaccination thereafter.

    For more information on entry, validity of rabies vaccination and entry requirements for puppies, please visit the website of the Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection. There you will also find information on entry and re-entry with pets from third countries to Austria.

    Leash or Muzzle Obligation

    Leash and muzzle must be carried during your stay in Austria. In Austria, the regulation of the leash or muzzle obligation is the responsibility of the individual communities. There is no nationwide law in which the leash or muzzle requirement is precisely regulated. The tourism association of the chosen holiday destination can provide precise information about the regulations that apply in the respective municipality.

    In general, the Upper Austrian dog-keeping law is taken as a basis.

    An excerpt from it:

    In the local area there is a leash OR muzzle obligation. If necessary, but in any case at bus stops, in public transport, in schools and kindergardens/nurseries, in children's playgrounds, as well as in larger gatherings of people, such as in shopping centers, bathing facilities and at events, there is a leash AND muzzle obligation.

    Police dogs on duty, assistance and rescue dogs, trained hunting dogs, as well as dogs on whose assistance certain persons are dependent (e.g. guide dogs for the seeing impaired) are exempt from these regulations.

    The municipality may determine by ordinance:

    • where leash OR muzzle obligation does NOT apply in the local area (free running areas)
    • where leash AND muzzle obligation applies in the local area
    • where the carrying of dogs is generally prohibited in the local area (dog-free zone)
    • where leashing OR muzzling is also compulsory outside the local area

    This Might Also Be Interesting For You

    •                         View from the Grossglockner High Alpine Road

      How to Get to and Around Austria

      Find information about travelling to Austria by plane, car, train, and coach.
      How to get to and around Austria
    •                         Twilight in Gamlitz on the South Styrian Wine Road

      Where to Stay in Austria

      From stylish design hotels to rustic chalets in the Alps, we bring you the best of Austria's accommodation options, as well as hand-picked holiday packages and offers.
      Browse options