If you appreciate variety, you will love Zell am See-Kaprun: The two local mountains – Schmittenhöhe and Maiskogel – offer plenty of adventure and variety. The region’s prominent excursion destinations include “Top of Salzburg“ in Gipfelwelt 3000 with cinema at the Kitzsteinhorn, the National Park Gallery and Ice Arena, the TAUERN SPA – one of the most modern wellness oases in the Alps –, the Kaprun High Mountain Reservoirs, the listed Grossglockner High Alpine Road and the Sigmund Thun Gorge.
The water of Lake Zell is of drinking water quality and invites to relaxing days at the lidos, to a panorama tour on the MS Schmittenhöhe and many sporty activities. On the new “guestbook“ theme trail in Thumersbach, you hike on the tracks of famous personalities who used to have close ties with Zell am See-Kaprun. Interesting stories are also told during the new digital “Local Guide“ tour which can be taken with the help of your smartphone.
Fantastic events – from IRONMAN 70.3 to the amazing “Lake Zell Magic“ – fill the summer event calendar.
Top tips for an unforgettable summer holiday 2019:
- With Schmittenhöhe and Maiskogel, Zell am See-Kaprun has not one but two local mountains. Both are local recreational areas for hikers, bikers and families and offer quite something. For example, the popular “Schmidolins Feuertaufe“ family adventure trail or the new “guestbook“ theme trail on the tracks of Stefan Zweig, Alfred Kubin and other famous personalities. From summer 2019, you reach the Maiskogel in comfort on the newly constructed Maiskogelbahn lift
- A very special hiking tour is the “Kitzsteinhorn Explorer Tour“. Accompanied by a National Park Ranger, you explore four climate zones on foot and in comfort by cable car. The absolute highlight is Salzburg‘s highest-situated panorama platform ”Top of Salzburg“ at the Kitzsteinhorn, which can be visited in ”Gipfelwelt 3000“ with a cinema and the National Park Gallery.
- The Kaprun High Mountain Reservoirs are an excursion destination of the superlative. A dam wall tour offers fascinating insights into the manmade high alpine structure. Here is also the world’s highest-situated via ferrata on a dam wall as well as the “Höhenburg Climbing Arena“ with further vie ferrate and sports climbing facilities.
- A digital tour of the town by smartphone offers interesting insights into the history and little stories of Zell am See-Kaprun: famous locals and aficionados of the region tell their story at 10 stations.
- Yodelling on the mountain, yoga with stand-up board or an herb hiking tour: Zell am See-Kaprun offers plenty of opportunities to try something new during the summer months.
- Lake Zell Magic“ is a spectacular water, light, music and laser show and an appreciation of the world-famous Lake Zell. The 20-minute show is staged in Elisabeth Park from mid-May to mid-October every year: always on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday at 10 pm in May, June, July and August and at 9 pm in September and October. Admission is free.
- Up to 40 attractions – excursion destinations, places of interest and museums in the region and across SalzburgerLand – can be visited with the handy Zell am See-Kaprun Summer Card, which is included in bookings with one of the partner accommodations. In addition, the card entitles to many other discounts. The card is valid from 15 May to 15 October 2019.
- New from summer 2019 is the Mobility Card for all guests: The card entitles to the unlimited free of charge use of all public transport services (train, buses, Pinzgau Railway) across Pinzgau for the entire duration of the stay from 1 May to 31 October 2019.